Thursday, August 31, 2006

Curiosity

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.

Albert Einstein

Remember when your children were three or four? They asked Why 5 million times daily. What happens to our children's curiosity? Do we discourage it because we're tired of explaining? Do they suddenly not care why anymore?

It is so important to foster curiosity as a homeschooling parent. When children learn why something happened they have a better grasp of a subject than if they just learned the where and when. I try to encourage my children to ask why. Truthfully, yes sometimes it gets a little frustrating. But if I will not teach them how to find out why they will be satisfied with just learning the where and when.

Thankfully, as a homeschooling parent we can take the time in our day to research the why when it comes up. I for one think my children are better for it.

No comments: