Thursday, August 30, 2007

Unschooling

I'm a worrier. I admit it. I think I may need a twelve step program I'm so bad sometimes. Yet the other day something happened that made me relax a little bit.

I work from home doing computer repair and custom programming. The wonderful part about that is I can be home. The bad part about that is when I get a call from a client I have to go. Well, my oldest went back to public school this year (don't kick me out of the club just yet) We are adopting a foster child that has been living with us since the beginning of summer. You cannot make big decisions like homeschooling for foster children. So, my oldest decided to go back to public school for high school with our foster child. They're both doing quite well, in fact the World History teacher told them they could not participate anymore in class because they were answering all of the questions between the two of them.:)

Anyway, back to my story. With the oldest back in PS I have to take the youngest with me everywhere. All of my clients know that I homeschool and get a big kick out of Carson tagging along with me. Of course he is very well behaved.

Got a call on Tuesday, had to go to a clients house to fix a problem. Carson and I loaded up and headed out. I was worried about getting school in.

On the way home Carson and I started talking about this and that. He started to explain to me the life cycle of the butterfly because we have a cattepillar that we are watching, waiting for it to spin it's cocoon. Then we had a conversation about jellyfish and how we have caused "dead zones" in the ocean with pollution and jellyfish eat bacteria and heal the "dead zones".

He explained that Geology was the study of the Earth and that my client was a type of Geologist because he does surveys for the oil companies.

He asked me how much I charge per hour for my services then calculated how much of a tip my client had given me for the job I had just performed.

We discussed the present tense and past tense of the word "metamorphosis".

The only thing we didn't cover was history, and really I'm sure we talked about something history related I just can't remember.

Sometimes school is not about sitting down and doing book work. Carson learned a lot that day. So did I.

No comments: